Elinor Friend Playground
Sloat Blvd & Great Hwy, San Francisco, CA 94132
- Separate areas for toddlers, preschoolers, and older children
- The toddler section is fenced in
- Infant swings are available in both the toddler and preschool sections
- Lots of fun themed climbing structures
- Adults can play with their toddlers on the preschool section climber and on larger slides
- Even on sunny mornings the playground equipment can be very wet
- A lot of the area is unshaded
- Some small structures seem like they should have movement but don’t
Once a tiny human turns 18 months old, there are a few additional classes that now become available to them. As a working parent, I am always looking for weekend classes that I can enjoy with my tiny human in order to broaden his horizons. I provide more detail on these 18+ month weekend activities below.
Pier 15, The Embarcadero & Green St.
Visiting the Exploratorium is a great outing for San Francisco families with kids of various ages. It doesn’t really have enough activities targeted at the smallest tiny humans to recommend it as a typical toddler outing, but if you are taking a group of kids, here are the best suggestions for what to do with a toddler while there.
The Inner Sunset is a great neighborhood to explore with tiny humans of all ages!
Here is a breakdown by stage of some of my top picks in the area:
Recess Urban Recreation
470 Carolina St, San Francisco, CA 94107
I first took my tiny human to Recess when he was 8 months old. I visited as part of the Golden Gate Mother’s Group (GGMG) monthly weekend free play. I have returned for many similar visits as he has become a young toddler.
- Separate gated space for crawlers and new walkers
- Large variety of age appropriate toys and activities
- Offers a variety of classes and other services for parents
- Has toddler friendly snacks for sale
- Layout of the larger section can create trip hazards
- It would be hard to watch kids in both sections at the same time
- Membership or day pass typically required for entry
- Sensory lab not open during GGMG weekend play hours
Now that my tiny human is a young toddler there are a few items that really grab his interest. He loves to be able to do things by himself, and all of these items let him do just that while providing opportunities for him to work on his gross and fine motor skills.